Sunburst 2021 Rules
Sunburst League Rules 2021
League Play Rules
- Baseball Canada Official Rules of Baseball will be used (including the DH)
- All games will be 7 innings
- Mercy Rule - 10 Run differential after the losing team has completed their 5th offensive inning
- Losing team can elect to continue play regardless of mercy rule.
- Wood/wood composite bat only
- Courtesy runner is permitted for the catcher when they are on base with 2 outs (not permitted during playoffs)
- Maximum roster size of 25 players
- Initial rosters must be submitted prior to the teams first scheduled league game. A final roster must be submitted by August 1st.
- No changes to the roster will be permitted after August 1st. If a team’s roster falls below 15 players, that team will have the opportunity to roster replace.
- All rosters must be approved, and any changes approved by the Baseball Alberta Registrar.
- Players are permitted to be on only one Senior level Provincial roster.
- Junior AAA players are permitted to be on one Junior AAA Provincial roster and one Senior AAA Provincial roster.
- Compliant with Baseball Canada player requirements and be an Alberta resident as of June 1st, 2021.
- Must be of amateur status or be removed from professional baseball for the current year.
- In order to be eligible for Sunburst Playoffs/Provincials, players must meet the following criteria below (subject to change if we do not play a full 18 games per team);
- Have an appearance in 40% Sunburst League games (appearance is defined as 1 at-bat, 3 defensive outs played, or an appearance as a pitcher)
- If a player is playing in multiple Senior Leagues (i.e. FMBA, NCABL, etc.), that player must make an appearance in 50%Sunburst League games.
- Any player on a WCBL roster is not eligible to play in the Sunburst once their season begins. A player is only eligible if they are cut from a Western Canada Baseball League team, that player must play in 40% Sunburst League games.
- Only players who are in uniform and present at the game can be placed on the lineup card. Coaches are to retain lineup cards from all games in order to provide verification of player eligibility.
- If an ineligible player is used, that team will forfeit all games in which the player was used. (Player must be registered on RAMP and on the league lineup roster)
League Play and Championships
- The Sunburst League will consist of a balanced schedule with an equal number of games against each team.
- The regular season Sunburst League games will determine the seeding for the Sunburst Championship playoffs.
- Playoffs will occur if each team plays at least 15 regular season games.
- The winner of the Sunburst Championship will be given the right to represent Baseball Alberta at the Baseball Canada National Championships the following year.
- If we do not play at least 15 games per team, the Cubs will go next year
League Fees (only if we have playoffs)
- Each team is responsible to pay the league fee of $1000 annually.
- The winner of the Sunburst Championship will receive $3000, and 2nd place will receive $1000.